August 11, 2007

I Survived the Presentation

My quilt presentation went pretty well. A couple of friends told me that my face was redder than my shirt and I spoke a little too fast. I'm glad it's over and I'm sure the next time will be easier.
Overall, my quilts were well received. When I presented my first finished quilt, I hear several gasps of surprise because it's way too nice for a first quilt. I think they enjoyed seeing my non-traditional quilts. Several people stayed afterwards to talk with me. One said my quilts were better than many of the speakers that we have and several asked me if I would teach a class.
At this point in my life, I don't have enough time to spend on my own artwork. I can't imagine teaching. Maybe when I retire.
Remember the turquoise wax painting. I added another layer of crayon and another wash of color. I also added some accents with Red Tsukineko Ink.
Here is the finished painting. I like it even better now. I think it has a lot more depth.And here are several of the ATC's after I cut it up. I really like the movement. I've finished these three weeks early, I don't need them till September.
Now I have to finish two quilts for a group show at the Elverhoj Museum from October - December.

9 comments :

Dianne said...

This is great Judy. I love the colours and design!!

Joanna said...

I'm really happy for you that your speech went well and your quilts were loved. I can imagine it was difficult to get up and speak for the first time for you in front of your peers. Your crayon resist looks great!

Joanna

Vicki W said...

Glad your presentation went well! Your painting turned out great!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Fabulous design work. Love the movement.

Anonymous said...

Nice work, I really like it! Can't make anything new for the Elverhoj show until I finish a quilt I'm entering in a show this Wednesday and making my QA Journal Quilt. Oh, and my Symbols of Our Culture quilt is due in September, too. I have some things already made I think I will enter, although I may have time to make a couple of small new art quilts. We'll see!

Val said...

So glad your Talk went well, and of course they loved your quilts - I think your crayoned and inked piece is fabulous - what amazing ATCs. Val

Nikki said...

I love the movement and the colors. No risk of this red and green piece looking like Christmas! It is so fun to paint and draw with such freedom and then cut it up, using just part or combining it in new ways.

Elis Cooke said...

of course they loved your quilts! lol! Congrats on stepping up and speaking! I am teaching a class of teachers in October and am already nervous! so I know just how hard it can be... I hope it gets easier too lol! namaste Elis.

Digitalgran said...

Congratulations on the success of your speech. We all knew you would be fine. It was a lovely piece of art you cut up, but I must admit those ATC's from it are fantastic.