January 2, 2009

Knitted Scarf

Thanks to online tutorials, I recently learned how to knit continental style. It is so much faster than the way my grandmother taught me. No wasted motion. Don't you just love the internet? My son (Sean) and his girlfriend (Megan) are moving to Portland next week. Megan is always cold in CA, so I'm not sure how she's going to fare in OR. Anyways, I decided to knit a scarf for her. It's made with Moda Dea Tweedle Dee yarn using a basketweave stitch. It's pretty simple as far as knitting patterns go, but I don't knit very often.
I'm going to San Jose to visit family for a few days. I'll take my knitting and portrait with me to work on. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish both.
Our house is completely painted, but I'm so sore, I can barely walk. This is the last time we will ever paint a house ourselves. We're getting too old for this!! With any luck, we'll have the plants and paths in by next week.

I want you all to know that I appreciate your comments and online friendship. I'm generally respond to each person individually, however, I just haven't had the time to do that lately. I'm sure my life will be back to normal soon.

7 comments :

Guzzisue said...

I don't relly knit so now i'm confused 'continental style'?

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend!
Have a great time in San Jose, and say hello to Kathy & Dave for me... I bet you're going to "Aqui's"!
See you when you get back... are we going to Road ro California?
Best Wishes for the New Year,
Kathy

Barbara H. said...

Nice scarf! Coincidentally I just finished a scarf for my son who is going to work up in Bakersfield next week. I am a "thrower", knitting English style for 45 years now, and I have tried Continental, but it's so hard for me to change. I might try again. Congrats to you for switching, as I know it's much faster. Working on a house is exhausting, I know! No worries about individual replies. :)

Sandy said...

That's a nice scarf, and she'll need it this winter in Portland!

Rayna said...

Judy, my grandmother taught me to knit holding the yarn in my left hand (continental or german) and I never knew there was another way to knit till I got to college and saw all those people doing big arm motions. I always thought it was the most ridiculous way to knit - LOL. Glad you're a convert.

Mary lin Huskamp said...

She will LOVE the scarf! Love the color

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a pretty pattern! I love the yarn, too. Maybe it will inspire me to make slightly more complicated scarves. I saw the black scarf you made for Jason last weekend -- he put it to good use at Mammoth! Also, I saw a cool felting project made by my sister. I'll email you some pictures soon.