May 2, 2010

Enhancing the Surface with Layers of Color

The base fabric was painted with Dye-na-flow, when it was dry, water soluble crayons were applied through two different thermofax screens. I didn't care for the way it was developing . . . it looked too pretty. I decided to put it away for a couple of weeks.
When these new permanent markers arrived, I had to test them. I added a layer of writing to the surface. Interesting, but I didn't want the writing to be the focus. Now what?
It's too monochromatic, it needed some intense color. Circles were added with permanent markers and Tsukineko ink. Better . . . but too bright.
I decided to integrate the layers by glazing with two colors of Jacquard Textile Paint. I applied the paint to the entire surface with a dry sponge. The glaze knocked the intensity down a notch.
A subtle change, but much better.

7 comments :

Michelle said...

I like how this has developed. It's amazing what layers can do!

Vicki W said...

That's very cool!

Sandy said...

Camarillo was my quilt group when we lived in Moorpark. I liked the piece of fabric in the original but have to admit that the additions add a lot of life.

Rayna said...

A perfect example of "if you don't like it, keep going."

wildonionstudio said...

Fantastickness. Thanks for taking photos at each step of the way. It's fun to live in your brain (for a teeny tiny while...)

imquilternity said...

Wonderful!! I love anything with dots/spots and text!!

LynnDel said...

Beautiful!